Thursday, February 14, 2013

Singapore: Catalunya


Yes, your double-take didn't fail you. I chose to highlight this item from the elBulli-staffed restaurant, Catalunya.

Nothing says 'I love you...' like a head of cabbage. So much so that I'm almost tempted to pronounce cabbage, cab-baahhge.

Don't say I didn't warn you of Catalunya's charcoal-grilled cabbage. It's a side dish and yes it's no-frills. It's the forgotten one on the menu. But suddenly, it will win you over. You will forever be at its mercy.

At first bite, the smokiness of charcoal hits. Then comes a sour note that quickly mellows out to a sweet pickle finish, a transition that is as smooth and melt-in-your mouth as its texture. Whatever's on that grill spread, I want it.

1 comment:

  1. The cabbage was indeed a surprise winner. I enjoyed it. This picture is unreal! Who could tell it is a head of cabbage?!

    ReplyDelete